Measles outbreak reaches 21 cases as vaccine demand surges

Sweden's measles outbreak has reached 21 confirmed cases linked to the Urkult festival, with infections reported in seven regions as demand for vaccination rises.
Listen to this articleNarrated - 9:12
Most patients are under 18 and most were unvaccinated, the Public Health Agency said. Regions are tracing contacts. Two doses give good, lifelong protection, and adults are advised to check whether they need another dose.
Vaccindirekt told TV4 it gave 450 per cent more doses on Wednesday than on the same weekday last year. Demand came mainly from people born in the 1970s or earlier, but also from younger adults who missed childhood doses.
The agency says the risk of wider spread remains low and people not directly affected do not need to seek vaccination urgently. Region Sörmland is nevertheless offering free measles vaccination to unvaccinated adults through September, despite having no confirmed case.


